Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Knowledge Knows Sydney




If you have a good understanding of the Hip-Hop spectrum in Sydney , then you would of no doubt heard of the ever hardworking MC and constant craftsman of the game Nick Knowledge. Born in Sydney city , however raised in Germany , Nick released his debut record 'Identity Crisis' to much acclaim country wide in 2007.

Well know for his rap battle abilities , Nick is a tireless performer having graced the stage with Jean Grae and supported the likes of Mystro and Buff1 to name a few.

Apart from his solo work , Nick also rolls with 1nfo. Comprised of Jacob Giles and DJ Dlect , 1nfo have been getting good support around this city showcasing tracks from the mixtape 'Information Jakeknowledgy' which dropped early last year.

2010 saw the release of Nick's follow up to his 2007 effort in the form of 'Soul Sample Side A' . The first release on hatonrack's volume series , the 14 track record features none other than the legendary MC Masta Ace with production from Lunatronic.

With all the success that has been achieved so far , the future looks bright for Nick Knowledge.

How has Nick Knowledge the MC changed over the years since your debut Identity Crisis in 2007?

Hmm I guess I never really thought about that. I stopped entering battles since then. That had a lot to do with what I wanted music to mean for myself- though I was winning alot, I wasn't digging the negativity that goes along with it. There's only so many times you can call someone's mother fat, and gay, I guess. Just kidding.

Where do your ideas and inspirations come from when putting pen to pad and writing lyrics?

The strangest of places! There's no formula to it. I get excited by anything that makes people think. Which doesn't mean shit always has to be super intellectual, but even a generic party song is more interesting if it's done with some clever wordplay or a new observation. Knowledge is king.

Your follow up to 2007's Identity Crisis has recently dropped on hatonrack records. How long did it take to make Soul Sample Side A?

24 years!

How has the reception been for the new material been at your recent shows?

It's been killer. Performing live is so much fun for me anyway, but I feel like we've just gotten tighter and tighter over the years. The show is still freestyle heavy, but now I'm working with the 5 Coffees band, which is a 5 piece including horns, as well as DJ Dlect on decks.. We all improvise and jam a lot so the scope for entertainment is nutso. People love it.

You have performed at some of Sydney's most well known venues in this city , what would be your favourite?

The big top at Luna park for the huge crowd. The basement for the cool. The Civic for the sound.

Apart from your solo work , you also roll with the crew known as 1nfo, could you tell us about what that is all about and the sound that is released?

1NF0 is the crew I've formed with MC/Producer Jacob Giles. Jake is one of Australia's absolute hidden weapons- an extremely prolific and talented guy. The shit we make is really progressive.. it's definitely hip hop, rooted in mid 90's style, but we branch out and experiment a lot in the electronica direction. It's different to my solo stuff in that way- SOUL SAMPLE is more organic and based on a Motown sound, 1NF0 is like the illegitimate baby of Big L, The Prodigy, and Gnarls Barkley if that makes any sense haha . Our first mixtape dropped last year- download it on www.hatonrack.com/1NF0!

You have supported some of the biggest names in Hip-Hop , such as Mystro , Jean Grae and the Wu-Tang Clan. Any highlights amongst those or others that you can share with us?

Yeah lots.. You know how they say its about the journey more than the destination? I feel like I've only just started but I've been by some cool scenery. Getting stoned with Cappadonna, Getting invited on stage with Jean Grey and freestyling the basement a new a-hole, battling Kool Savas in Germany, getting New Era cap from Nas and of course recording a track with one of my all time icons Masta Ace were all pretty dope.. Wow, that really makes me sound like the man doesn't it?? Hahaha sweet,I'll take it.

Is there anyone in the Sydney Hip-Hop community that you can reccomend to the readers?

Yeah.. my man Sonny Syah is probably the illest MC I've known.. Unfortunately he does suffer from an incurable love for Mary Jane and she doesn't let him out much haha.. Also 206Collab, and LHA- both those crews are sick and have wild energy to give.

What is coming up for you in the future? Any up-coming shows?

Big things! hatonrack is releasing another 5 albums in it's Volume Series, including SOUL SAMPLE SideB and the new 1NF0 EP, both of which will be categorically APESHIT. Stay on www.hatonrack.com to follow the story!


All the best with the current record and everything in the future Nick , thank you for your time.


1 love my pleasure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A person essentially help to make significantly posts I'd state. That is the very first time I frequented your web page and so far? I surprised with the analysis you made to create this particular put up extraordinary. Wonderful job!

Here is my web site :: weight loss program